Thursday, August 12, 2010

Day One - travel

Well, Phyllis Diller hair was a non issue the minute I stepped outside into the wonderful coastal foggy air in San Francisco. My hair resembled, much to my dismay, a horrible imitation of the ‘60’s greasy, hanging in the eyes, hippy look. Classy, real classy.
***
Being one of those annoying ‘morning people,’ I chatted it up with an innocent victim next to me on the shuttle, waking him up against his will and causing me to miss my airline stop. I quickly found myself alone on the shuttle. I got a nice tour of the parking terminal routes.
***
Tucked into my seat at the airport, the one with the best people watching view I began to ponder the livelihoods, and dreams of some of the people around me. The exhausted parents dealing with screaming children, Mickey Mouse paraphernalia surrounding them, looking heavenward wondering if their whole vacation was going to involve screaming children. Yup…been there, done that. A vacation with children should come under a totally different heading…like maybe fakation. After all it’s not really a vacation in the true sense of the word. My definition always involves some sort of serenity and a beach, have to have a beach. Oh, and don’t forget the wine.
***
Landed in another dimension, better known as Kentucky. Louisville to be exact. But don't for heaven's sake make the same mistake I did by pronouncing it correctly, nooo the proper pronunciation of Louisville is louvul. Got that? its tough...i know.
***
People enjoy life SLOWLY here in this neck of the woods. This Californian needs to put on the brakes. When was the last time you heard someone say, or had the time to say, the full name for cell phone or car? Can’t think of the full name? Its “cellular phone” and “automobile.”
***
Called a friend here to let her know I was in town. She said “I figured. A storm was a brewin’.” A small town joke for those that know me here. Seems the last three times I have visited the storms that have hit the area have gotten progressively worse, from thunder, lightning and a deluge of rain, to a tornado whipping through town. I’m beginning to wonder if they think I’m kin to mother nature herself.
***
Getting my hair cut tomorrow in town. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will not come out of the salon with a mullet.

Happy reading:)

No comments:

Post a Comment