Saturday, August 14, 2010

Day four - the rest

The plan of running to the dirt track turned into running to the drag races. Ever been? Loud, exhilarating, loud, exciting, and did I mention loud? If you get the chance give it a shot, but one note from a seasoned drag strip attendee…don’t take a deep breath around the time of the green light. Not good, not good at all. I’m pretty sure I inhaled enough carcinogenic air to make my lungs look like a pack a day smokers lungs.

After massive inhalation of fumes and many ohs and ahs later, my cell phone…oops in Kentucky, I meant my cellular phone, went nuts. Texts, voicemails, etc. Evidently the back yard of my home in Copper was on fire, CalFire was on the way, aircraft were involved and I was helpless. I sat in my rental car fielding multiple messages while trying to get real time information when the car radio blared an emergency broadcast. You know the kind, the annoying beep, beep, beep, then the “this is a test of the emergency broadcast system.” Well at least that’s what we hear in California, here in Kentucky it’s the real thing followed by the ever helpful where to run and hide information.

Bring it on.

After clicking my heels together three times wishing for home didn’t work, I tried plan ‘B’, drive like the dickens in front of the storm and beat it home. It was worth a shot. An hour later, safe and sound, I am towel dried and wishing I had some of that special Kentucky lemonade.

Happy reading:)

P.S. Thanks to all of you for your calls and your support. And thank you Copperopolis Fire District and CalFire for your awesome response time and your expertise!

No comments:

Post a Comment